Want to dance like no one’s watching? Bollywood dancing is a famous dance style seen in popular Indian films. But you don’t have to be a movie star to get active and start learning some Bollywood dance moves.
It’s not about doing it ‘right’, it’s about how you feel, and dancing is a great way to get active and have fun. Whether you’re new to dancing or know your steps, Bollywood will make you feel energised.
On this page we look at:
- This Girl Can Ambassador Jagriti’s story about leaving the stress of the day behind and being present with Bollywood dancing
- What is Bollywood style dancing?
- The health benefits of Bollywood dancing
- How to give it a try with Bollywood dance classes near you
Get inspired to do the activities that suit you and keep you feeling good: sign up to our newsletter here.
Jagriti feels totally alive when she dances and no longer worries about how she looks
Jagriti dances to forget her worries and be present. “I grew up being judged on my skin colour – not in Australia but in India where the darker you are the less pretty you are”. She also grew up thinking she wasn’t skinny enough, but through dance, she feels “totally alive” and doesn’t worry about what she looks like – “If I’m the biggest one, I’m fine with that.”
What is Bollywood dance?
The name comes from the dance style used in Indian films. It’s an energetic fusion of a range of diverse dancing styles, like jazz, hip-hop, and older Indian styles like Bhangra and Kathak from different parts of the country.
Bollywood dance moves combine lively movements of the head, neck and body, as well as hand movements. The moves act as symbols to tell a story with themes like weather, animals and places. In the movies there are colourful costumes which make it a joy to watch.
The benefits of Bollywood dance
When you learn to Bollywood dance, you’ll discover how active and engaging it is for the body.
There are many health benefits of a Bollywood dance workout. It’s great for:
- Improving core strength
- Enhancing blood flow
- Helping to relieve stress
- Relaxing the body and improve sleep
- Improving the flow of oxygen in the body
Bollywood dancing is also very social. If you’re looking for an enjoyable way to workout and make new connections that doesn’t feel like exercise at all, this could be it!
Finding Bollywood dance classes in Melbourne and regional Victoria
Ready to try some Bollywood dance lessons and learn how to move it like the movies? Here are some next steps.
Find a Bollywood dance studio
Search online to find private Bollywood dancing schools near you. There are specialist studios that offer Bollywood dancing, and other fitness and dance studios that have some Bollywood dancing on their schedule.
Try a women’s dancing group
If you’d like to try some moves in a more casual environment, search for Bollywood dance groups in Melbourne or your local area. You can get together with a community of women with a similar interest who also enjoy it. It doesn’t have to be Bollywood – if you like to dance, you’ll find other like-minded women who do too.
If you love dance, No Lights, No Lycra is also fun, non-judgemental freestyle dance class where you can dance like no one’s watching (literally, it’s in the dark). There are no steps, no mirrors, and you can dance any way you want to.
Online Bollywood dancing classes
You can find online Bollywood dance classes too! This is a great way to get a feel for Bollywood dance routines, and learn some easy Bollywood dance steps for beginners.
Connecting with other women who love Indian style dancing
- Visit the website mentioned on this page: Online Bollywood dance classes.
- Google it! See what’s happening in your area. If you can’t find a Bollywood dancing school near you, there might be some other dancing classes available. You can always do a bit of Bollywood dance on top of that with an online video!
- Find a Supporter in your neighbourhood, to see if a Bollywood dancing school has registered online to support This Girl Can – Victoria.
- Ask other women about Bollywood dancing – chat to your friends, family or colleagues about doing an activity together, or post a question to our Facebook page where there’s a super supportive community of women who can help you out.
Can’t get out right now?
You can start learning some Bollywood dancing moves right now. Visit Get Active @ Home to learn Bollywood dancing from your living room with our This Girl Can – Victoria Ambassador Jagriti, as well as a range of other fun workouts you can do at home to raise a sweat.
Learn more about This Girl Can – Victoria and how it’s helping women feel good by getting activity in a way that suits them.