Tennis is a popular game for women and girls in Australia, and can be played with friends, as part of local tennis groups, or even at home by yourself.
With so many community courts in local neighbourhoods, it’s easy to have a hit of tennis. It doesn’t matter how sweaty or red-faced you get, all that matters is giving it a go and enjoying being active playing the game.
On this page we look at:
- How This Girl Can – Victoria Ambassador Mimi got involved in tennis again after having her first child
- Playing women’s tennis as a beginner, or returning to tennis after a break
- Finding a local women’s tennis program or tennis club near you
- Can’t get out right now? At-home tips
Get inspired to do the activities that suit you and keep you feeling good: sign up to our newsletter here.
How Mimi found the courage to go back to tennis after having her son
Mimi, 37, loves tennis. She started playing at primary school, but then tennis took a backseat once uni started. After moving to Australia, and having her first child, she was worried about playing again. But she played anyway and immediately felt better. Today, she loves playing tennis with her son and is glad she had the courage to go back.
Playing women’s tennis as a beginner, or returning to tennis after a break
Are you new to tennis, looking for a social hit or a fun workout?
With the Australian Open tennis in Melbourne every summer, you might be inspired to get on the court and try tennis for yourself. Tennis for women and girls is fun at any age. If you’ve played tennis in the past, now could be the perfect time to back into the game, get active with friends or expand your circle with a friendly new tennis community.
You can choose to get some tennis lessons or attend tennis classes through a club if it’s your first time picking up a racquet. Or you can pack the family into the car, head to the local court and have a blast playing your own games on the court!
Here are some first steps you can take to learn to play tennis near you or get the ball rolling again:
- Your local tennis club can connect you to a range of activities, programs and tennis communities to suit you.
- Tennis Australia’s Open Court Sessions “throw tradition out the door to include music that will keep you moving, fun tennis activities as well as off-court socialising with food and drinks”.
- See other activities on offer in your area by visiting the Tennis Australia website.
- One of the best things about tennis is there are plenty of community tennis courts for hire that you can use throughout the year. You can book a court and have a hit anytime with a friend or family member. It’s a great way to practice some new skills, and get some exercise at your own pace.
Finding a local women’s tennis program or tennis club near you
- Visit the websites mentioned on this page: Tennis Australia’s Open Court Sessions, Tennis Australia or tennis courts for hire.
- Google it! Search to see what tennis options there are near you.
- Find a Supporter in your neighbourhood: see if a tennis club near you has registered online to support This Girl Can – Victoria.
- Ask other women – chat to your friends, family or colleagues about doing an activity together, or post a question to our Facebook page where there’s a super supportive community of women who can help you out.
Can’t get out right now?
While it’s true that you need a bit of space to hit a tennis ball, there are other ways to enjoy tennis if you can’t make it to a tennis court.
You can hit a tennis ball against a wall if you have one at home, or with a friend or family member if you have a court or space in the backyard! If it’s more limited, get yourself a totem tennis pole and a couple of rackets. It can be a fun family game that also gets the body moving.
Learn more about This Girl Can – Victoria and how it’s helping women feel good by getting activity in a way that suits them.