Stretch your body and your mind with a touch of yoga in your week. It’ll help you improve your mental wellbeing and your flexibility, while providing you with some much-needed time for yourself.
You can find a yoga class, start trying some yoga poses with friends, or flow using online videos by yourself. It’s easy to get into yoga as a beginner, and even easier to fall into a regular practice.
On this page we look at:
- Benefits of yoga for women
- How to find a yoga class near you
Get inspired to do the activities that suit you and keep you feeling good: sign up to our newsletter here.
What benefits does yoga have on the body and mind?
Yoga improves your health and wellbeing in a number of ways, through the practice of a series of physical techniques. This can include breathing, exercise and meditation.
There are so many benefits to yoga for women’s health including:
- Improving physical strength
- Increasing your flexibility
- Helps you to manage stress
- Re-connects you with your body and mind
- Relaxes your body, giving you a better night’s sleep
Yoga embraces the idea that it doesn’t matter what your age, ability or background is.
If you’re looking for a relaxing, life-affirming activity where you can go at your own pace, read on to find out how to get started.
How to find a yoga class or women’s yoga group near you
To find out more about yoga, search online to find a yoga community that feels right for you.
There are a wide range of yoga studios, gyms and private facilities that offer yoga classes. It’s best to do your own search in your local area, and see where it takes you.
As well as formal yoga classes for women, there are also plenty of social yoga groups around to practice with. There are different ones for each skill level, so if you’re learning yoga for beginners, there are women’s yoga groups for you too.
There are many forms of yoga you can try from different lineages and parts of the world. Yoga doesn’t have to be one thing or another – for example, if Bikram yoga (the hot one!) doesn’t appeal to you, that’s okay. There’s many more to try. Have a look around and see what feels right.
Get out there and find a women’s yoga group near you
- Google it! There are so many places to learn yoga and get started, even if you haven’t tried it before. Many women who have practiced yoga for years started somewhere too. You don’t need to be an expert at your first yoga class – all that matters if you’re moving your body and have a go at something new.
- Find a Supporter in your neighbourhood: see if there’s a yoga group or association who has registered online to support This Girl Can – Victoria.
- Ask other women about finding a yoga community they like – chat to your friends, family or colleagues about doing an activity together, or post a question to our Facebook page where there’s a super supportive community of women who can help you out.
Can’t get out right now?
If you can’t start yoga with a yoga class in Melbourne or regional Victoria near you, that’s okay – you can do yoga at home!
Check out the free yoga tutorials on our Get Active @ Home hub to give it a try from the comfort of your living room.
You can also search online to find yoga videos to follow along with. All you need is a yoga mat, or you can even use a towel.
Learn more about This Girl Can – Victoria and how it’s helping women feel good by getting activity in a way that suits them.