Women’s touch football has been growing in popularity during recent years. Not only is it fun to play, touch football is also a great way to get active for women of all ages.
You can try touch football at a club, or go for a kick with a friend. Don’t take touch football lightly – try it once, and you might find yourself heading out to the park all the time for a game or a kick!
On this page we look at:
- How Melinda tried touch football without having any previous ball skills, and turned around the ‘self-talk’
- What is women’s touch football?
- How to get involved in touch football for women, even as a beginner
Get inspired to do the activities that suit you and keep you feeling good: sign up to our newsletter here.
How Melinda tried touch football without having any previous ball skills, and turned around the ‘self-talk’
Melinda, 38, was surrounded by football, netball and cricket growing up. But she had no ball skills or confidence. Her self-talk was pretty negative, telling herself she couldn’t do it. But at teacher-training, she learned to play touch football with a team and discovered her groove. “When I play, it limits that chatter, and it takes away those barriers of that,” Melinda says. “What I enjoy most is that quiet little goal I set for myself. Then when it actually works, it’s really cool.” Now with two kids, Melinda’s been selected for the women’s state side. Look out!
What is women’s touch football?
Women’s touch football is a popular social sport in Australia. It’s a fun way to meet new people, get active and learn some new skills while you’re at it.
How do you play touch football? The game is played on an outdoor field, and there are anywhere from 6 to 14 touch football positions you can play. You can only pass backwards, and if you get touched while holding the ball, you place it on the ground and step over it for a teammate to take. After 6 touches, the ball goes to the opposing team. The idea is to make it to the other team’s side of the field to score.Oh, and the ball can’t hit the ground!
Being a non-contact sport, touch is great for women of all ages and skill levels. If you don’t know how to play, the supportive and welcoming community are looking forward to showing you how.
Joining a touch football group to learn and play touch football in Victoria
Touch football is a very inclusive sport for women, and there are many ways you can learn the basics and get involved. Whether you’re looking to make new friends, return to getting active or find a new sport you might like, there’s a touch football program that’s perfect for you.
- You’ll find plenty of information to get started at Touch Football Victoria. This includes finding a touch football club near you, joining or registering a social touch football team, or trying other forms of the game like beach touch.
- Switch is Touch Football Victoria’s social program that helps you learn the basics over 6 weeks. If you’re just starting out and looking for a fun and welcoming touch football group to show you the ropes, this could be the pathway for you.
- The All Abilities Touch Football Program provides a way for those with physical or intellectual impairments to get involved too. They can even play with family members, carers and friends, making it a social way to get active and be part of a supportive touch football group.
Learn more about getting involved in playing touch football
- Visit the websites mentioned on this page: Switch, Touch Football Victoria or All Abilities Touch Football Program.
- Google it! Search to see what touch football options there are near you.
- Find a Supporter in your neighbourhood: to see if a touch football club near you has registered online to support This Girl Can – Victoria.
- Ask other women – chat to your friends, family or colleagues about doing an activity together, or post a question to our Facebook page where there’s a super supportive community of women who can help you out.
Can’t get out right now?
If you have a local park that you can get to, why not take a football and have a kick with yourself or a friend?
Sometimes there are times when you can’t make it outside. But that’s okay – you can get moving and improve your mobility for a game of touch footy with some exercise at home, or by practising some ball skills.
Learn more about This Girl Can – Victoria and how it’s helping women feel good by getting activity in a way that suits them.