There can be a lot more to frisbee than a casual throw in the park. Learn about ultimate frisbee and how to give it a go.
Ultimate frisbee is a team-orientated frisbee game that is open to anyone of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. Ultimate frisbee for women and girls is a great way to enjoy a social run-around, get the body moving and above all else – have an amazing time doing it.
On this page we look at:
- How This Girl Can – Victoria Ambassador Katie gave ultimate frisbee a go even though she’d never thrown a frisbee
- What is ultimate frisbee and how do you play it?
- Ways to play ultimate frisbee in Victoria
- Finding where to ultimate frisbee near you
- Can’t get out right now? At-home tips
Get inspired to do the activities that suit you and keep you feeling good: sign up to our newsletter here.
Katie gave ultimate frisbee a go even though she’d never thrown a frisbee
Katie, 25, had played netball and touch footy, but never thrown a frisbee. Her boyfriend at the time played, but she didn’t know if she was good enough. She made herself give it a go. Moving from New Zealand, the sport gave her new friends, kept her fit and made her happy. What’s not to love?
What is ultimate frisbee and how do you play it?
If you’ve seen a group playing frisbee in the park with 2 teams, that’s ultimate frisbee. It started in the United States in the 1960s by a group of students, and it’s so popular now that in some places it’s just called ‘Ultimate’ (with frisbee implied).
The game is played on a rectangle field with 2 end zones. Players on 2 teams throw a frisbee (also called a ‘flying disc’) to each other to try and run into the end zone to score a goal. The first to 17 goals wins.
Ultimate is a non-contact sport which makes it more accessible. There aren’t even any referees! It can be as competitive as you make it, but mostly playing ultimate frisbee for women and girls is about having a good time.
Ways to play ultimate frisbee in Victoria
- Ultimate Victoria runs clubs, competitions, and Social (Pick Up) Ultimate Frisbee where women can rock up on the day and join a game. They also have a program called Active Frisbee, where you can learn frisbee skills as a beginner without entering a competition.
- For women who find they really love to play frisbee, there is even an ultimate frisbee league in Victoria.
- If the kids are looking for a way to learn about ultimate frisbee, they can get involved as well with Girls Love Ultimate – a fun Ultimate Frisbee Victoria program for girls from 12 to 17 years.
- If you don’t feel like joining an ultimate frisbee community just yet, you can also throw a frisbee around with friends or take a frisbee to the park for a great workout on your own.
- If you’ve got a dog, you can practice, why not mix things up with fetch by throwing a frisbee instead of a ball?
Finding where to play ultimate frisbee near you
- Visit the websites mentioned on this page: Social (Pick Up) Ultimate Frisbee, ultimate frisbee league or Girls Love Ultimate.
- Google it! Search to see what ultimate frisbee options there are near you.
- Find a Supporter in your neighbourhood, to see if an ultimate frisbee club near you has registered online to support This Girl Can – Victoria.
- Ask other women – chat to your friends, family or colleagues about doing an activity together, or post a question to our Facebook page where there’s a super supportive community of women who can help you out.
Can’t get out right now?
Sometimes you can’t get out and about, and that’s okay too. While you do need a bit of space to play frisbee, there are other ways to stay active and have fun doing it at your place.
Check out Get Active @ Home to see how you can still get the benefits of movement while you’re at home. And when you can head out, you’ll be even more excited to throw and catch that frisbee!
Learn more about This Girl Can – Victoria and how it’s helping women feel good by getting activity in a way that suits them.